U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: The "Offended" re-replies....

RE: The "Offended" re-replies....

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: The "Offended" re-replies....
  • From: Robert Peterson <petersonrbrt@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:55:40 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't know this is a bash Microsoft list. I have a Windows PC, but any problems I have with spam have nothing to do with Microsoft. My problems stem from the fact that my wife filled out the wrong phishing form and gave away our email address. So, now I too get lots of spam. I could change my address, but haven't gotten around to that yet.

My spam problems are basically taken care of by Yahoo. 99% plus of the spam goes into its bulk file. I never look at that anymore, and they don't charge me for it. Occasionally an item slips through. I mark it by checking a box, press the spam button, and it's gone. Actually, this list is one of the biggest spam problems I have today. Mailings here are not identified, and I normally don't touch any mail I can't recognize from the sender or subject. That means I open a spam item occasionally, and mark occasional list items as spam. Since all this is done in a browser, and all incoming mail is scanned by Yahoo, Windows doesn't really come into play.

If you want to use a spam filter and not send this list through it, here is one way. Obtain a free email address at Yahoo. Have the list send your mail there. Don't tell anyone else about it, and be very devious with your user name. Check that mail box for this list. If my experience is valid, you won't get any spam. A second variation is to have the list mail to a forwarding server. Have that server send your mail through the spam filter.

Whatever. Just please spare me the Microsoft bashing, and the Microsoft made me do it theme.

Bob Peterson

Don Bryant <dsbryant@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Judy,

Without going into excruciatingly boring detail, using a PC spam filter
and/or ISP spam filter is an absolute must for Microsoft users. Trust me I
do everything I can to ward off dangerous e-mails. As obnoxious as
spamenators can be, they do have a legitimate purpose.

And no we can't use the UNIX tools that you do (although there is a PC
version of Pine). For me personally I quit using Pine many many years ago
and never looked back.

Figuratively speaking, if Microsoft didn't have their head up their
collective hard drive they could solve this problem. In their defense they
do make security patches available frequently (and BTW there are tons of
security patches that are issued for UNIX systems as well.)

I am truly sorry that you don't engage the internet with a graphical user
interface or modern e-mail clients, you are missing a lot.

But back to the point, having your system corrupted by a worm or virus is a
life altering event for most of us these days. I have over 1,000,000 files
on my PC and trying to rebuild a corrupted system is usually impossible to
do quickly and safely. Re-installing and restoring is also a bummer and
usually means weeks of system rebuild and software re-installs.

I can rebound from hardware failures with relative ease but virus infections
are non-sequiturs even for the most geeky of us, resulting in man weeks of
lost productivity and time.

So please don't take these defenses personally, they aren't intended that
way.

Don Bryant