U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Lead Toning Cyanotypes - share your experience please

Re: Lead Toning Cyanotypes - share your experience please

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Lead Toning Cyanotypes - share your experience please
  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@fastmail.fm>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:04:18 -0400

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
You should be able to dissolve 4-5% at room temperature, but 5% is
about the solubility limit. I can think of two sparingly soluble or
only very slightly soluble lead compounds: lead carbonate and lead
halides. I'd use distilled water, boil and cool before use, if absence
of those cloudy matter is essential. If insoluble matters still form,
it's most likely due to impurities in the chemical stock (especially
if it's technical grade lead acetate).
Just for curiosity's sake, my Merck Index gives the solubility of lead (II) acetate as 0.63 g/ml. Lead forms a number of insoluble salts, as Ryuji mentioned, but I think the major candidate for cloudiness would be lead (II) chloride (solubility 0.01 g/ml) which would easily form when the acetate is dissolved in tap water, which contains a considerable amount of chloride ion. Silver nitrate behaves similarly (forms a precipitate when dissolved in tap water) due to the insolubility of AgCl. Using boiled distilled water would probably be a good idea.

Good luck!

Jordan

--

Jordan Wosnick