U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Some Kallitype observations

Some Kallitype observations

Carmen Lizardo's PFP#8 article and Sandy King's description of the K-process on the Unblinkingeye website were great introductions to the method.

Undaunted by the variables to choose from, when I saw potassium oxalate (KOX) listed among the slew of developers in Chris's chapter on Kallis in Alt Procs Condensed book, I tried it ( I happen to be overstocked). At 20% concentration, the print developed to a heavy, poorly differentiated detail. Diluted to 5% (I have not gone below this), tonal separations were clear and rendered in great detail. These compare well with prints developed side by side with Hall's developer and with 20% sodium citrate. At 5%, the toxicity of KOX may not be much of an issue (Spinach is loaded with oxalate!). Also, it permits one-shot use to yield cleaner prints, something I found with Pt/Pds.

I have occasionally run into vertical banding in prints which feature a fair (Caucasian) skin. This was particularly noticeable in Pt/Pds. After a trouble-free span, this problem has reared its head in Kallis. Despite experimenting with modifications to the neg file (printed on Pictorico), I have not yet succeeded fully in eliminating the problem. However, I found that printing on Stonehenge (B side) and using double-toning with Pt and Au, the bands are barely visible, whereas printing on Arches Platine reveals them fully.

Suggestions to cure the problem will be appreciated. Rajul