To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: WAY OT! TEXT BOOKS

Greetings, All,
Given the steep cost of texts these days, I advise my students to pair or triple up in buying the texts, which, besides saving them money, serves my not-so-hidden agenda of promoting collaborative studying. Sharing texts induces them them to discuss the work openly amongst themselves, either through their studying together, or more casually, their conversations as they arrange who reads the assignments when. Students have anecdotally filtered back to me that, while it sometimes inconveniences them, it does more to get them to work together outside of class than any of the university provided internet fora. At any rate, they do it voluntarily. (Hey, I'm just using capitalist incentives to promote good study habits and undermine rapacious profiteers!)
Pre-emptive apologies to any language critics, Michael