U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | > #2 Re: WAY OT! TEXT BOOKS

> #2 Re: WAY OT! TEXT BOOKS

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:13:16 -0400, "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
said:

           I guess I am just out of the loop but if someone is taking 5
           or 6
courses they are spending $600 to $720 just on books and I am certain
that
law, medical and psych students have it worse!
           Is this the way of the academic world now?
I spent about 300 on average each semester, some semesters much higher,
some much lower. Several basic courses (like calc 1, 2, 3, 4, diff eqs,
or chem 1, 2, ..., and so on) often use the same textbook for multiple
courses in the sequence, so on average the figure was much lower than
what you gave above.

At UCLA when we had our assignment to make an 8mm film, the tuition was $75 for the trimester (not just yesterday, for sure) and my cost for the film was $1,250. When I said to my grantor, if it was Law the cost for books would be greater than that. They said: This isn't law.

The choice was made, I had to raise money. Part of life's lessons. "Life equals pay for it."

Wait until some of the "Brookies" (Brooks Institute graduates or drop outs) get into this subject.

Steve Shapiro