U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Fratelli Alanari - celloidine prints

Re: Fratelli Alanari - celloidine prints

Celloidin paper was an emulsions type (= industrial product covered with ready "emulsion": silver chloride sensitive material in the binder, opposite of the home-made chloride salt covered paper which was sensitized after silver nitrate) printing out paper, it was available from the late 1860-s. 1864, George Wharton Simpson, inventor -- 1867, Obernetter, industrial technology. From 1868 it was produced with baryta layer.

It was very popular in Europe at the turn of XIX/XX century as a material for card photographs (visit, cabinet, etc.). There are a lot of pieces in several European collections.

Bálint, Flesch
Budapest, Hungary
http://archfoto.atspace.com/