From: Gawain Weaver [mailto:gawain.weaver@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 September 2006 22:06
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: pt/pd mounting

There are several reasons why you might use buffered board.

1) All other things being equal, buffered board has greater permanence than
unbuffered board (this is why standards for permanent paper typically
include a requirement for a 2% alkaline reserve).
2) As Liam/Ware has mentioned it could potentially act to mitigate the
effects of the acid buildup from the catalytic action of platinum.
3) Buffered is generally cheaper
4) It won't do anything bad, so why not?

I would emphasize that the acid mitigation is purely in theory. Discussion
of pH and the buffering effect of an alkaline reserve should really be left
to discussions of solutions in water, not of carbonates in dry boards.

Gawain Weaver