U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: pt/pd mounting > not gum related

Re: pt/pd mounting > not gum related

You could also get a cracked transparent amber coating by brushing on a thick coat of gum arabic and allowing it to dry. This dried cracked coating would be very water soluble, therefore easily removed by immersing the print in water, if you ever wanted to take it off. But for the same reason, also very vulnerable to water damage.
Katharine

On Sep 12, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Loris Medici wrote:

Thickly applied "undiluted" Winsor Newton Watercolor Medium?

See "Creative encyclopedia -> Product Information -> Watercolour -> Mediums
(Page 7/18)" @ http://www.winsornewton.com

Please return to us with the results if you try this.

From: Camden Hardy [mailto:camden@hardyphotography.net]
Sent: 12 EylŸl 2006 Salõ 18:32
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: pt/pd mounting > not gum related

Gawain,

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't drifted off into a
dillusional dream world.

I'm rather attracted to the idea of cracked coatings; does anyone know of
any methods of accelerating this with polyurethane? Or perhaps another (at
least somewhat archival) substance that will crack under heat/etc.?

Chris (if you're listening), do the varnishes in your Alt Processes crack
fairly easily?

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net