U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: P.O.P and diginegs and babies

Re: P.O.P and diginegs and babies

Hi David,

You should be able to do POP fine with digital negatives.  With POP processes, I think the only step that people have trouble with is determining a standard printing time—which perhaps seems the antithesis of POP, where you are printing by inspection.  However it is important to get a printing time so you can determine what density your negatives require.  The traditional method of exposing until you get a standard steptablet to merge at least two steps doesn't work very well, since the self masking prevents this merging of steps.  But you can still use a step tablet and by examining the darkest print steps decide which gives you an acceptable "black".

Good luck,
Mark Nelson
Precision Digital Negatives