U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Selenium-toning Van Dyke Brown prints

RE: Selenium-toning Van Dyke Brown prints

FWIW, I found the white Cranes to have higher contrast than the ecru when treated identically.  I much prefer the VDB on ecru in combination with gold-thiourea toner.  With gold-thiourea, the VDB shifts more towards a look between salted paper and platinum, sort of a purplish image color that looks great on ecru papers.

Selenium toning looks sickly on VDB IMO.

I've looked at the comparative example I posted on three different monitors and all three show too much of an absolute yellow cast.  The relative colors between the various treatments are representative though since all where scanned using the same settings.

Joe