U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Humidity Question

Re: Gum Humidity Question

I use a hygrometer I purchased at Home Depot for about $20.00.  It works
quite well for my purposes.  I can tell you that much above 55% RH,  the
process does not work.  I think what happens is the solution leaches into
the gelatin and causes major stain.  This is from my personal experience.

As far as low RH, the RH dropped to 27% last winter here in Memphis and the
solution set up way to fast to be able to work it properly.  (I had to buy a
humidifier.)

I have a dehumidifier for the summer months and keep it in the 49-52 range.
We had our first cold front of the fall and the humidity dropped
significantly.  The results were rather unexpected-more contrast that I had
been getting from the same neg.  At first I chalked it up to the vagaries of
gum, but then I thought about it and started thinking about the drop of
about 7% I had experienced.

I have only been aware of the effect of RH on gum for the past year.  This
will be the second winter cycle.  I will see what happens.  I was wondering
what others have experienced.

Thank you for your input.  Good luck finding a decent hygrometer.

Candace Spearman