U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Humidity Question

Re: Gum Humidity Question

On Sep 26, 2006, at 9:20 PM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:32 PM, Kerik wrote:

OK, you live on the coast and it's foggy outside so the humidity is near
100%. When you get a hygrometer ($30 from radio shack - been using them for
years), it would be interesting to know what the conditions are in your
darkroom/work area.

The humidity in the workroom should be pretty close to the humidity outside, shouldn't it, as long as the windows are always wide open? I's not fog, BTW, it's just a constant dampness in the air, and believe me, when it's damp outside, it's damp inside, if the windows are open. (I just happen to like feeling like I'm living outside, even though I don't actually want to LIVE outside). But it sounds like you're saying that even with the house open to the outdoors, the humidity should be considerably less inside. If that's true, maybe my cheap hygrometer does work after all.
Well, I guess not, because I put it outside, away from the house, to check how well it would measure the outside humidity, which should be 88%, give or take. Even after leaving it out there for more than half an hour, the hygrometer never made it above 68%. So no, the hygrometer definitely isn't giving me an accurate read or even close.
Katharine