U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Humidity Question

Re: Gum Humidity Question

OK, yesterday I posted the results of printing at 80% or higher in my workroom (cleared easily, half an hour development); this morning the RH in my workroom registers 92% and again, the printing goes as usual.

So the answer to your comment is yes, I can and do print at over 90% IN my work area.

But it looks like I won't be able to get readings over 92%, even if the area is more humid than that, because just out of curiosity I tried putting the thing in an enclosed space and filling the space with steam, and it still read only 92%. So even though I bought it because it claimed to be able to register humidity up to 99%, its actual maximum reading seems to be 92%. And the other one, the cheap one, reads 80%, which seems to be *its* maximum reading.

Besides, if you need more proof that I print without a problem in conditions of high humidity, I can tell you that for a year or so I was printing in a dank cellar that had a stream running through it. I'm not kidding; I had to wear boots to work. It was a spring coming from farther up the hill somewhere; it ran right through the basement, and it ran strong enough that it left a delta of mud around its edges. I didn't have any kind of meter to measure humidity at the time, and didn't care, but I can tell you it was DAMP in that cellar; I wouldn't be surprised if the humidity was close to 100% most of the time. I did some very good work there, even if it wasn't a very pleasant place to work.

Hence my smile when someone opined that the process "doesn't work" over 50% RH. Like I keep saying, it ain't humidity that's the problem.
Katharine