U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Measuring humidity

Re: Measuring humidity

Title: Re: Measuring humidity
Same here. We use air conditioning or heating all year and actually never open the windows except to clean them. This is done with a system called a heat pump. The temperature is held at about 72º F constantly, but RH inside varies from the low 30s in winter to the high 60s in summer.

Right now it is 71ºF and 64% inside, and 63ºF and 72% RH outside. RH trends more or less with outside RH. But, heating in the winter removes a lot of moisture from the air. Obviously, cold air can hold more moisture than hot air. In the summer a typical reading at 8 am would be 70ºF and 90% humidity, but by 1pm the reading would be 90ºF and 50% RH.

Temperature and humidity are major issues for carbon printing. Sensitivity is much higher at 85ºF and 90% RH than at 70ºF and 35% RH. This absolutely has to be factored in when printing.

Sandy