U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dig negs (Burkholder)

Re: dig negs (Burkholder)

Burkholder's is not a system, it is an approach to problems. For all I know, he does now
perceive it as a system, or has expanded his web site to approximate one. But that's
another matter altogether. In point of historical fact, there was a time not so long ago
when this subject of digital negs did not exist in any viable form whatsoever. Burkholder
opened a discussion - detailed, to be sure, but also entertaining and convincing, since
that's his, er, charm. Likening that unfavorably to Nelson's system, though, is akin to
saying that books about food are only useful when they contain all the recipes. I don't
mean to downplay Mark Nelson's work. What I mean is that the things Burkholder has
done need to be understood for what they have aspired to help us achieve.

Surely I'm not the only photographer who finally risked making digital negs because this
guy's book convinced us we could try. To dismiss it as a system that doesn't work well,
misconstrues historical context AND historical intention. Not to mention the curiosity and
confidence it helped to foster in so many of us. In fact, that climate included quite a few
people - only a handful of years ago! - who made the "digital neg" people into traitors
and idiots. That is one of the many things we, not only Burkholder, but we
photographers, had to contend with.

His book wasn't designed for use with varying conditions????? Burkholder took on this
subject when the conditions seemed to be - seemed to be - about 1000 times more
populous than they do now, AND were changing every three months. If you think
Burkholder wasn't pretty revolutionary, or that he "failed to control every variable", or
that he was committed primarily to service bureaus, well, maybe it might be a good idea
to revisit his book. Better yet, try reading Palmer's "Digital Negs for Alternative
Processes" in Barnier. Now THAT is something to make your eyes glaze over.

Of course it is laudible that Nelson has fashioned a scientific method. It is wonderful that
he's eliminated the need for me to do all that work myself. But Burkholder's value lay
elsewhere: he has shown us how to size up variables, try unlikely possible solutions,
and keep circling the beast. Not formulas, but a method with which to think for oneself.
This really isn't such a bad thing when you work in 19th century processes!

Mike Healy