U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: mould over gum

Re: mould over gum

Alberto, I agree that what's needed to remove mold from hardened gum is probably not the same as what's needed to prevent mold from forming in gum solution.

I would try a dilute household chlorine bleach (VERY dilute, because strong household bleach will dissolve the hardened gum). The bleach shouldn't affect the color of the image, because the color is embedded within the gum. (I was going to point you to a page where I've dropped a drop of full-strength bleach on hardened gum, which obviously dissolved some of the gum but didn't change the color, but I realize that that's a page that hasn't been uploaded).

It makes me a little nervous to suggest this; it would be best if there's a border of hardened gum outside the image area to test it on before using it on the image area. But I do know that bleach is good for removing mold from all kinds of things. Good luck,
Katharine