U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Potentially stupid pt/pd question

RE: Potentially stupid pt/pd question

> Why did you go with the Vellum and not the RAG? When they say they are the
> same, did you ask about "whiteness", weight, ??  Whom at Legion did you
> speak with?

Here's the story.  I placed the order through an "authorized Legion
dealer" for the rag paper.  I got an email the next day saying that the
rag was being discontinued and replaced with the vellum.  They said that
it was "exactly the same" as the rag, so I went ahead and tried it.
Clearly they were wrong, hehe.

> Dmax can be compromised by not enough coating for a paper and by letting
> in
> soak in to deep. It may be a material that likes a lower humidity to start
> with for coating.

Interesting.  I've always been told more humidity = more dmax.  I'll try
one without humidifying and see what happens.

> The pH of the substrate is only one factor in coating paper. This paper
> may
> need to have a more direct air stream or heat applied to it during the
> drying process.

So does heat prevent the emulsion from absorbing into the paper too much?

> How are you guessing .9? Black paper with two holes with one over the
> known
> value and one over the unknown value?

I had a printed step wedge with densitometry readings written on it.  I
used that for a comparison.

Should I be concerned about the slow clearing with this paper?  Is
doubling the clearing time the right thing to do, or should I be
increasing the strength of my clearing bath (or does it matter)?

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net