U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Alt-emulsion-projection

Alt-emulsion-projection

Hello,

My current project may require an alternative photographic emulsion. I’ve
mostly considered Cyanotype Rex as a route for experimentation and it
appears to be my best bet, however, I’m not certain.

Basically, an image will be captured and subsequently projected, without
development (the result of this exposure may either be positive or
negative). I don’t expect this to behave like normal motion picture film –
I’m not expecting any miracles, and I imagine I will sacrifice speed for
simplicity and legibility. This emulsion only requires to be so fast as to
register some change in the frame, but perhaps just slow enough for the
image to last at least a second or two before ‘fading’ under the
projection lamp.

The installation will utilize computer controlled 16mm analyzer-projectors
that I have developed, and will modify for realization of this work.
I hope I will be applying cyanotype (or another emulsion applicable for
this purpose) to gelatin coated 16mm clear leader soon. Before I get mired
in the chemistry, I’d appreciate any recommendations from the list since
I’m a bit out of my element and wondering whether I’m barking up the wrong
tree (or barking mad, that’s a possibility!).

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

-David L. Elinoff