U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: digital negative possibilities for gum

Re: digital negative possibilities for gum

Hi Charles,

The bitmap negative is one of those binary types of negatives... it is either printing with full tone or no tone—the closer the printed dots are together, the more tone.  This is why the negative appears to be more dense—because there is no continuous tone in it.  It would be like an imagesetter negatives.  Printing with dots is fairly foolproof, though not what I would want for PT/PD.  However with full color gum, you have at least 3 printings to get a "dither" of the three colors, which will hide the dots somewhat.

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson

Precision Digital Negatives - The System
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com
Military Commissions Act of 2006 - A STAIN on our Nation's History