U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Date on a print

Re: Date on a print

I may not be the best one to answer this, but here's my opinion on the
matter.

Generally speaking, when you copyright an image you're "supposed" to use
the date the photo was taken.  It could follow that this applies to
limited editions as well.  However, I have seen works dated based on when
they were printed.

There are also many, many ways to go about dating a piece.  Some people
give the full mm/dd/yyyy, some do mm/yy(yy), while others simply put the
year.  If you choose to stick with the "standards" of copyright, the year
is sufficient.

I'm bringing this up to show how little consistency there is in the art
world about dating works.

Ultimately, I really don't think it matters in the long run, as long as
you're consistent.

Personally, I prefer using the date the print was made.  I always sign and
date the front of my prints, and make the signature/date visible within
the mat.  When I'm feeling particularly worried about copyrighting the
print, I'll put the pertinent copyright info on the back of the print.
The copyright date reflects when the image was captured.

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net