U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | (Drumroll): gum prints w curved vs uncurved negs (Re: How many gumlay

(Drumroll): gum prints w curved vs uncurved negs (Re: How many gumlayers (Re: ferri sesquichlorati)

Okay, I've posted a gum print made with a neg (from ChartThrob) geared to fit my emulsion and printing conditiions, next to a print made from the same file, no curve.

I printed several templates and generated several curves from the same emulsion last night, because being a statistician, I needed to convince myself that the curve for a particular emulsion would be reliable and robust (in other words that minute variations in how I mixed the emulsion or coated the paper or whatever would not skew the curve; this seemed to be the case, in other words the curve does seem to be robust to unessential differences. But I used up so much emulsion printing those templates that I had to mix up some more pigment mix this morning, and so I printed another template and generated another curve this morning for the new mix. Even though it was essentially the same mix, I wanted to be sure that the curve I was using was generated for the exact mix I was using. Again, the curve looked very much the same as the other curves.

I made sure that I had the positives and negatives straight (his directions and labels are helpful in that regard) and the "corrected" file looked very much like his example of a "corrected" file, so I don't think I did something really stupidly wrong, but if I did, someone can tell me.

The curve is not a drastic curve, and the two negatives differ from each other not at all drastically, but I could tell just by looking at the corrected negative that it would print flatter and darker than the uncurved one, and so it did.

Both prints and all the templates were exposed at 2 minutes, but I developed the "curved" print an hour longer than the other one (if I'd developed it the same amount of time as the other one, it would have looked even worse by comparison, but I wanted to give it every chance of turning into something, so I gave it some leeway).

I spent something like 8 hours of my time and a bunch of paper and transparencies to end up with a worse print. I don't get it.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Curve.html
Katharine