U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: =?UNKNOWN?B?T1Q6oA==?= corrupted .NEF files

Re: =?UNKNOWN?B?T1Q6oA==?= corrupted .NEF files

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: =?UNKNOWN?B?T1Q6oA==?= corrupted .NEF files
  • From: Robert Peterson <petersonrbrt@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 07:30:00 -0800 (PST)

There seems to be a bit of a knowledge lag here. Digital is very much involved in film production. That's because it is cheaper to use digital processing in many aspects of film production. It is quite possible that film is used to archive the final product.

Greg Schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu> wrote:

FWIW, at a session at the most recent meeting of the American Moving
Image Archivists Association (AMIA) Kodak discussed its'
investigations into marketing FILM as a long term storage medium for
DIGITAL data.

At the same session a representative from, as I recall, Warner
Bros. (who also claimed WB is the largest consumer of film in the
world) pointed out that WB requires all digital visual elements to be
broken down to RGB and then archived in the WB vaults on BW film
stock; WB and other film companies routinely refer to their archived
materials as "assets." Perhaps the motion picture industry, which has
steadfastly resisted attempts to get them to go digital (digital costs
more to shoot and store and most seem to feel digital does not look as
good as film) is a few steps ahead of still photographers when it
comes to a "practical" view of digital vs. film; not sure? Oh, the
guy from WB noted that film was the most practical way to store images
because all you have to do to retrieve the image is look at it.

-greg schmitz