U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: corrupted .NEF files

Re: OT: corrupted .NEF files

I think I'm going to have to agree with Dan on this one.

You can buy a 120GB hard drive on newegg.com for $55.  Let's say you buy 2
of them for backup purposes; it's now up to $110.  If you're shooting raw
with a 10 MP digital camera, the raw files are 15MB.  That means you can
fit around 8,000 raw files onto this hard drive.

A 36-exposure roll of B&W film is about $4.  8,000 exposures comes out to
be about 222 rolls of film, which gives us a total of $888.

We can now take the money we save with the hard drives and go through 7
upgrade cycles (since the technology is getting cheaper, 7 cycles is the
bare minimum); assuming the lifespan of a drive is 6 years, that means
you'll get at the very least 48 years out of it.

Based on recent trends in technology, I'd estimate that one is more likely
to get 9-12 (maybe even more?) upgrade cycles (72-96 years) in before
reaching the $888 that film would cost.

Note: inflation was left out for the sake of simplicity.

Digital storage may have dependability problems, but then again, so does
film.  Film can scratched or otherwise damaged; but when stored properly,
it should be fine.  The same idea applies to digital storage.  When
used/maintained/stored/etc. correctly, it's actually quite reliable.  In
fact, I would argue that the ability to keep backups is one of the strong
suits; how many times have you wished you could undo a scratch on a
negative?  :)

Compatibility is becoming a non-issue these days, because there are
filesystem formats out there like FAT32 that are fully compatible with
every operating system out there.  There are also great efforts going on
to allow Mac OS X and linux/unix to fully utilize NTFS, the default
Windows filesystem.  Currently, NTFS can be read by all, but some can't
write to it.

So what I'm getting at here, is that in the (very) long term, film may be
a good way to go, especially for movies (those film cans take much less
space than the data center(s) companies like WB would need).  However, in
the case of still photographers, who don't need terabytes of space to
store ditigal images, I don't think cost and/or longevity are very good
reasons to avoid working digitally.

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net