U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Microcrystalline Wax

Re: Microcrystalline Wax

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Microcrystalline Wax
  • From: Murray Leshner <murrayatuptowngallery@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:10:19 -0800 (PST)

Microcystalline Wax

Petroleum waxes derived from short residues (vacuum distillation residues) or by processing tank bottom wax or sucker rod wax. Typical grades would show a much finer crystal structure than paraffin waxes and the ability to form smooth mixtures with oil or solvent. The lower melting grades (e.g. in range 135-145 degrees F) are very flexible and adhesive, and contain a wide range of molecular types including a high proportion of 'non-normal' paraffins.

Mark Booth <boothm@mac.com> wrote:
Microcrystalline Wax Question:

I would like to learn more about the use and practice of
microcrystalline wax in print quality? Is this process limited to
certain types of emulsion? How is the wax obtained? Method of
application and uses? It seems that Bob Kiss makes use of this
process in his work. I would like to learn more. Thanks for the
education.
~ Mark Booth