U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Microcrystalline Wax

RE: Microcrystalline Wax

Failing that, you can buy it :)

http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/sundries/sundries31.html

Regards,

David H

On Nov 11 2006, BOB KISS wrote:

DEAR MARK & MURRAY,

Murray's info seems accurate. I use it as follows:

1) First approximate the mass of your chunk of wax.

2) In a "double boiler" (larger pot with water and a smaller pot
floating in it) I heat the wax to melting.

3) Then move the whole thing far away from flame as the solvent you
area about to mix in is VERY flammable. The hot water in the larger pot
keeps the wax liquid for a while.

4) While the wax is liquid stir in Naphtha also known as Benzyne in a
ratio of 3 or 4 wax to 1 of Naphtha. DO NOT CONFUSE BENZYNE WITH BENZENE OR
WITH GASOLINE AS THE EUROPEANS OFTEN CALL GASOLINE BENZINE. I used to get
the Microcrystaline wax and Naphtha or Benzyne from Talas in NYC.
http://www.talas-nyc.com/

5) Let the whole thing cool down and store in a jar.

6) Apply this to the surface of a silver-gelatin print and CAREFULLY
polish until the greasy look is gone. You will need to use a few changes of
polishing cloth. I got a large bag of cotton scraps from a local t-shirt
manufacturer.

7) Living in the moist, mold and fungus laden tropics, I usually wipe
all of my prints with a tincture of Thymol before waxing. The prints stay
in great shape for decades this way.

Well, I hope this helps.

CHEERS!

BOB