U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Hand Coloring

Re: Hand Coloring

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Ender100@aol.com wrote:

Mark, I have a pretty good amount of Marshals oils and pencils if you want
to do some experimenting.

I don't know the content of Marshall's oils, but I'd go slowly on applying "oil paint" to alt photographs. The hand coloring with Marshalls was on factory paper, that is on a heavy layer of gelatin. Normal oil paints contain oil that will stain & ultimately rot paper that hasn't gotten an isolating coat. (We used to apply a thin coat of shellac before painting on paper in oils.)

It's possible that gelatin sized paper would be safe, and maybe other kinds of size would suffice as well... but odds are if you just layer normal oil paints over, say, an inkjet or platinum or cyanotype print, even possibly a gum, you'll get an ongoing evolution you hadn't counted on.

J.