U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum beginnings

Re: gum beginnings

Hi Laura,

To attempt to answer your questions

If the print is a little light you may need more pigment - also I find that
the first few coats tend to be a little on the flat side - the contrast and
depth builds up with multiple coats. Perhaps start by doing multiple coats,
if you still think your prints are too light consider increasing pigment
concentration. What also helps is to understand more about your pigments.
The website handprint (Katherine Thayer has  referred to it many times in
posts) provides lots of useful information about transparent and opaque
pigments. For example for my first coat I will often use a more  opaque
pigment to provide a good base for subsequent coats.

The clearing stage happens once you have printed your last coat and the
paper should be dry before adding to the bath.

Sizing - I can't comment on glyoxal as I use formalin, but I would normally
add the gelatin to cold water and then increase the temperature to around
40c when I brush on. I add  the  formalin just before I brush the size on
the paper and do  just one coat.

I have  some more information at http://www.gumphoto.co.uk

Hope  this helps

Hamish