U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum thickness and French check

Re: gum thickness and French check

Katharine,
I actually use 1 gum/pigment: 1 am di--the standard formula.

My formula seems more complex than that because I use "stock" gum/pigment mix and dilute my am di.

My stock is 1 tube of 14/15ml watercolor paint in a combined total of 60ml gum/paint. That I mix 1:1 with plain gum.

Then, on the am di side, I "cut" my am di 30% in half with an equal amount of water so in essence I use a 15% am di. The only reason I add water instead of mixing my am di at 15% is then I would have to measure out my am di with a scale and I am lazy. I just dump the pound of am di in a jar and put water on top, adding more water when necessary until there seem to be few crystals on the bottom at which time I dump another pound of am di in the jar. I do it this way because my darkroom temp doesn't vary much from 70.

But when I say my formula it looks like this: 1 stock gum/pigment: 1 gum: 1 am di 30%: 1 water.

Why I did the mistake is this: since the gum arabic I am using up is so thin--it is either a Daniel Smith or Photographer's Formulary dark, thin gum--I have been doing the same formula of 1:1:1:1 but replacing the water with more gum. That makes a thick enough/easily spreadable layer that doesn't streak and fish eye on me.

However, I was mixing my formula with the THICK gum I just mixed, a 60/100 mix, and I accidentally used 1 gum/pigment: 1 thick gum: 1 thick gum: 1am di 30%. When I was brushing on my layer I realized my mistake right away--very difficult to brush on.

It was the third layer on a set of large gums, hot pressed and cold pressed paper. I have never observed flagging in my life so I am confident to attribute it to a thicker gum. I had chunks of areas of the print fall off (never observed that either, as usually if a layer falls off it "grains" off), and at the perimeters of those holes left behind the flagging occurred. I assume it is the same as your veiling or frilling--it looks like the top of the gum is hardened and sticking together nicely, like a polaroid emulsion lift, but the underneath, less exposed layer has floated off. What was so funny is that they waved back and forth in the water bath so I could immediately see why they were called "flags".
Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Katharine Thayer" <kthayer@pacifier.com>