From: Richard Sullivan [mailto:richsul@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 12:03 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: "New" Paper for Pt/Pd (and other iron processes, too)

  Kerik,

  This is interesting. We have tried this paper several times and found it
wanting. Kevin was doing the testing and I am not sure what he didn't like
about it but I'll ask him later when he comes in. It may be the batch you
are testing is good. He usually runs tests from several different batches.
We have found that paper can vary from batch to batch. We have all seen how
this was the case with Platine. One batch good the next one was crap. When
Dick Arentz was here we cut two pieces of Platine into 4x5's and coated them
as one 8x10. We dried and printed them. One 4x5 piece was from our batch and
one was from some the Arentz brought with him. The difference was like night
and day.

  We have driven paper companies nuts with our testing and quality demands.
One can see that what we need in a paper is not what 99.99% of their
customers want. We have had the Cranes rep out to our place a number of
times. They have spent a lot of time working with us on the black spot
problem. One has to give them a lot of credit for flying a rep out to Santa
Fe more than once.

  It does look like we should take another look at this paper.

  --Dick Sullivan
  Bostick & Sullivan
  www.bostick-sullivan.com