U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: RE: palladium sensitizer question

RE: RE: palladium sensitizer question

Thanks Dane, saw that article before - seems like a good suggestion indeed. I live in Istanbul, Turkey and a kg of pure NaCl in powder form (not lumps / large crystals) costs me only $4 including metro tickets.

From: Dane Johnson [mailto:danaphoto@ifriendly.com]
Sent: 27 Kasım 2006 Pazartesi 18:05
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: RE: palladium sensitizer question

Loris,

If you are looking for a salt with few if any additives, take a look at Kosher salt, which is available at most grocery stores.
A quick Google search revealed the following information on kosher
salt:

"Kosher salt usually has no additives, and it has big crystals with large surface areas. This size and shape allows it to absorb more moisture than other forms of salt, and this makes kosher salt excellent for curing meats. That is essentially where the name comes from. The salt itself is not kosher, meaning it doesn't conform to Jewish food laws, but this salt is used to make meat kosher."

Since kosher meats can have few if any additives, the salt used to cure the meat can thus have few or no additives either.  So it is probable a source of relatively pure NaCl.

Dane Johnson

But even if it's non-iodized, doesn't ordinary table salt contain some
>other compounds for making it better flowing (anti-lump agents)?
I would
>use pure sodium chloride (quite cheap). Since Clay and Eric
suggest
>non-iodized table salt, that means either a) trace amount of
other
>compounds doesn't harm b) non-iodized table salt sold in the
States
>doesn't contain any alien compounds - like anti-lump agents.
>
>?
>
>Regards,
>Loris.

No.3'.