U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: PYROCAT-MC GLYCOL: Alternative Process Film Development

Re: PYROCAT-MC GLYCOL: Alternative Process Film Development

Mark,

Results from the two formulas are similar, and you can basically use the same times with -MC as with -HD. The most fundamental difference is that you will get greater apparent sharpness with -MC in rotary (continuous) processing than with -HD, and if developing for the high contrast needed for alternative printing there will be slightly less B+F stain with -MC. The color of the stain is also slightly different with -MC, but so far as I can tell this not change results very much.

In essence, if you want to do rotary processing I recommend -MC. For minimal and stand development I recommend -HD. For other intermittent types of agitation I recommend both.

Best,

Sandy