U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: long shutter release cable

Re: long shutter release cable

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: long shutter release cable
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:32:46 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 1:02 PM
Subject: long shutter release cable

I know this has nothing to do with alt, but so is everything
else I post anyway, so why not?

I'm looking for a long (3 to 5m) mechanical shutter release
cable and bought an air release cable just to confirm it
doesn't work. It does not have enough strength to depress the
shutter buttons of my cameras. Changing camera is not an
option for this project (Indeed, all but a few of my cameras
have very heavy shutter release button). Does anyone know a
good alternative to this air release cable but with more
strength? Do I need to make one myself from bicycle brake
wire?

Thanks

Ryuji

My experience with very long cable releases is that they tend to have too much friction and don't work well unless kept pretty straight. I've had good luck using shutters with flash syncronizers on them as remote releases. The problem is that no one makes these any more so you have to find them on the used market. At one time there was even a solenoid that screwed into the cable release. I think you may be able to make a tripper using a relay of some sort by coupling the armature to the shutter tripper. That would allow tripping at a considerable distance with a small battery box and push button.
The small air release available from Calumet or Freestyle does not work on many shutters using the full length of the tube supplied. I bought one many years ago and found the same thing you have.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com