U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Liquid Emulsion - Air Bubbles

Re: Liquid Emulsion - Air Bubbles

From: Ritab19106@aol.com
Subject: Re: Liquid Emulsion - Air Bubbles
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:28:32 -0500 (EST)

> Since I'm coating on paper, which seemed to accept the
> emulsion well, I hadn't been adding (additional) sizing.  Am
> I making a mistake, Ryuji, especially if I'd like a bit more
> shine to the surface?

I missed this post earlier. The answer is yes, unless you want
to minimize the work at the cost of quality, it is generally
much better to size watercolor paper before coating
emulsion. I'd use gelatin plus glut, with wetting agent if
preferred. This is even more true with papers like Magnani
Pescia, which is very absorbent.

Ryuji