U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Krylon Ultra-Flat Black (was Re: matte black paint pen)

Re: Krylon Ultra-Flat Black (was Re: matte black paint pen)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Krylon Ultra-Flat Black (was Re: matte black paint pen)
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:27:53 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Murray Leshner" <murrayatuptowngallery@yahoo.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 3:48 PM

Don't spray that UFB into plastic cups and the like to dip a brush into...it eats them. Doesn't like foamcore either (actually it likes it alot).

I think Sherwin Williams (or Benjamin Moore if I am wrong) has (had?) a dead flat optical black paint, discussed on Bob Monaghan Med Format site. I talked to local store once about 2 years ago, roughly $40/gallon, no smaller containers available. they confirmed it's existence.

I found some <4% lusterless alkyd (enamel?) that makes the Krylon look sparkly, and it's not even dead flat. I have to find out if it something you can buy in retailville...it was some kind of airplane paint or something.

Murray
Somewhere, maybe the same place, I read that Kodak used a paint made by Sherwin-Williams. I found that the Krylon paint is too thick for use on lens element edges. Long ago Bausch & Lomb made an optical paint called Velvet but its been discontinued for decades. The paint on the edges of Wollensak lenses is very thin but very absorbent. This may be the B&L paint but I don't know. The Krylon paint does not replace it. Krylon Ultra-Flat-Black is used very extensively in the motion picture and television industries for painting all sorts of stuff that must not reflect light. I have checked out many other generally available flat black paints, including a few sold by hobby shops, none is as good as the Krylon but, as I said in my original post, there are more absorptive paints. I just don't know how to obtain them in any reasonably small quantity.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com