U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates

Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates
  • From: Neil Miller <nkd.miller@btopenworld.com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 15:10:23 +0000

Hello Richard,

If you can't get rottenstone, tripoli (from fine wood finishing supplies, violin makers, etc) or just plain powdered whiting (for blanking-out greenhouse windows) will do.  French chalk suffices at a pinch.

Drop a small amount on the plate (size of a small pea for quarter plate) and drop a few drops of distilled water on it to make it into a slurry.  I use ammonia instead of water for wetplates, some use acetic acid, but these might affect your chemistry.  Rub the whole surface of the plate in different directions using a small 'rubber' or soft cloth or tissue.  Wipe of the residue with another cloth.  Finally, buff with a chamois leather reserved for that purpose, and store.  A test is to 'huff' on the plate to mist it with your breath - if the layer left by your breath is totally even, all residues are gone.  Not infallible, but a good guide.

Before coating the plate, a quick, light brush with a very soft brush (be aware that some brushes or over-enthusiastic brushing may leave brush marks in the coating, even if you don't see them on the plate before coating) or an air-puffer will do.

Regards,
Neil.