U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates

Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates

I don't believe what you see on the rinsed glass is sodium
carbonate. It gets rinsed off glass surface easily. I suspect
the white stuff comes from elsewhere.

For best cleaning, I suggest to add a bit of PhotoFlo 200 or
dishwasher rinsing agent (not detergent) to the carbonate
solution and rinsing water. If you still get white stuff, try
distilled water for final rinse. If you still get white stuff,
try wiping the surface with DRY kimwipe or lens cleaning
tissue. If this doesn't help, I think you are getting inferior
glass stock. Some glasses don't look good once thoroughly
cleaned.

However, for dry plates, you don't need that level of
glass. Most important is to degrease the surface and ensure
good adhesion of emulsion.