U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates

Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Cleaning glass for dryplates
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 13:55:15 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob McElroy" <idag@pce.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 8:28 AM

D. Mark Andrews wrote:
I use this same formula. You can substitute hardware store grade denatured
alcohol if you can stand the odor.
As a final step in glass cleaning prior to sealing a daguerreotype, I used to use hardware store denatured alcohol but it kept leaving a faint streaky haze (probably due to impurities) that was difficult to completely remove. Common isopropyl alcohol worked better and didn't leave any haze. Ethanol would probably work even better.

Regards,
Rob McElroy
Contemporary daguerreotypist
Buffalo, NY

FWIW 99% Isopropyl alcohol is avaialable in many drugstores, its cheap if you can find it. Locally I've been able to get it at Long's Drugs. I've also found 99+% Ispropyl at Fry's, the big computer store chain. Its in the electronic chemicals section sold as a cleaner. More expensive than at the drugstore.
Two thoughts: I wonder if Bon Ami would work. I also wonder if the white residue some complain about is not carbonates from the water if tap water is used. This causes "drying marks" on film which can be removed with ordinary stop bath. If distilled water is being used for cleaning this, of course, is irrelevant.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com