U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Dryplate Coating Alternatives?

Dryplate Coating Alternatives?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Dryplate Coating Alternatives?
  • From: richard jones <richard_cynan@yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:57:21 +0000 (GMT)

Heavy rain and gales in North Wales - great! Now I can justify a few hours spent in a darkroom, coating plates (badly, whilst crying to myself for wasting another 20 quid).  My first attempt at immersion coating was a disaster with too much Ilfotol (bubbles), cool plates, cooling SE1 and an unlevel drying surface, so I hope my second batch will be more of a success. Ha!

I don't know whether to stick to the costly process of dipping my plates or to go for something more economical (like digital )

I've read Silver Gelatin by Martin Reed and Sarah Jones, which discusses three methods of coating glass: Immersion, glass rod and wire-wrapped draw-bar. I'd like to try using a plastic combe to 'rake' the gelatin into one even surface (the surface being heated and placed on 4 shot glasses) Though, I'm not sure that this method, like the wire-wrapped rod will work with a subbing layer.

I'm aware that alternative processes are individual and experimental and sooner or later I will find a method that works well for me. But in the meantime, can anyone give me a few personal tips into economical coating of glass plates? I'd like, if possible, to use one-shot measured quantities.

Thanks,

Richard