U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Dryplate Coating Alternatives?

Re: Dryplate Coating Alternatives?

Richard,

I'm hardly an expert and I mostly coat handmade paper (not all that successfully, as I've whined about on the list), but I did find coating glass to be much easier than paper.  I would heat the glass (or aluminum plate) first, and then pour the emulsion onto it (with a catch tray underneath).  It requires a little fancy handwork, where you tip quickly to get all four corners coated, but you'll get the knack of that pretty quickly.  I found that heating the emulsion more rather than less helped to me get an even coating before the emulsion started to gel (warm glass helps with this too).  Then I would hold the plate level in my hands for a few more seconds until the risk of "drippiness" had passed.

'Hope this is useful.  Let us know.

Rita B