U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: clearing dichromate stain

Re: clearing dichromate stain

FWIW, the reason that the sodium or potassium bisulfite works is that it is acidic. Sodium sulfite alone is slightly basic, and will not reduce the chromium ion, which is what you are trying to do. This is also the reason that adding a little bisulfite is necessary when mixing your own hypoclear bath for clearing platinum - it needs to be at least moderately acidic.