U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Terminology - gum

Re: Terminology - gum

Nadeau used the term direct corbon carbon to include non-transfer printing using either gum or gelatin, or any other colloid. Today I think it more common to use the term gum printing for all non-transfer printing using colloids, except for those processes which are imitations of fresson.

As for the second issue, I do not agree that gelatin gives a sharper image as gum has the potential for as much sharpness as gelatin, although the way most people make gum prints does not exploit this potential for gum arabic in the same way that carbon transfer printing does with carbon. And in coating I have found that gum is much easier to spread with a brush than gelatin solution since the gelatin solution is very sensitive to temperature and wants to set before it it is fully spread.

Sandy