U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Terminology - gum

Re: Terminology - gum

Chris, Sandy, Katharine

Thanks for proper answers, I learnt a lot there.

I had a need to distinguish between the binders and coming from Carbon
printing "Carbon" means gelatine :-) so I found the term direct carbon
suitable in this regard, but suspected it was not correct therefore that
mail.

Suppose naming confusion is a part of these processes, a council for proper
alt language would just create more problems I suppose :-)

I found gum easier to coat than gelatine, although issues as room
temperature (and concentration) is important here, will pay more attention
to temperature for gelatine in the future, Thanks.

The sharpness - main problem is from my way of working - I have invented a
new version of the dark effect particularly for gum arabic :-) Just what was
missing. The replies here made me see a new aspect of this problem, Thanks.

Have the feeling that with traditional gum, gum arabic has a particular kind
of "soft sharpness" that one does not get with gelatine + more options with
long clearing, but suppose there is a lot of factors influencing...

Halvor