U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Safe methods for washing gum prints

Re: Safe methods for washing gum prints

One per tray is the old rule for development. I question whether any further
washing is of any value. If I am pressed by to many prints exposed to fit
the available trays I will develop back to back and turn them over now and
then. Mounting them on a rigid substrate would be a great asset in
developing, it would be possible to develop many print in a vertical tank if
the tank was set up with grooves in the sides to separate the prints.
Printmakers are now using tanks like this to etch copper plates. They also
use aquarium bubblers to move the sediment out of the etching lines. Could
it be possible to set up a system of bubbles so even that it could aid
developing?

As far as washing gum prints I will admit that I like using old water over
and over again to trap the chromate and to prevent air bells forming under
the print. I have a stack of trays that I keep water in and unstack to reuse
each time I print. This week was the first time perhaps 20 sessions of
printing where I used clean water. Amazingly the prints that are on sized
paper wash clean in dirty water. The edges and backs will be stained by the
water. Most photographers would cringe at any of this but it can be done...

So, I don't think washing a print beyond development is significant in look
or longevity.

Jack