U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | TR: cheap ink

TR: cheap ink

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Envoye : 16 decembre, 2006 03:16
A : alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Objet : cheap ink

My e-mail queue got so long I had to do some actual filing... in the
course of which I came across this from Keith G....

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Keith Gerling wrote:

> .....   I just learned this
> morning that it costs $1-2 per square foot for ink on the 7600 that I have
> my eye on.  Say WHAT?  That is expensive, given I like big prints.
>
> I've been out of the inkjet circuit for years.  I have no need for
archival
> inks.  For that matter, I have no need for even GOOD ink.  Other than
> rendering a printer useless for anything else, is there any reason I
> couldn't get one of those continuous-feed systems and dump in India ink or
> Sumi ink or something else?  I'm serious.  I just want to print cheap ink
> onto cheap paper for the purpose of making cheap gum prints.  The negative
> doesn't have to last more than a day or so.  In fact, I'd prefer if it
> didn't last!  Are there any cheap maverick-consistent alternatives that
you
> can think of employing?

Keith... If you haven't solved that problem already (which odds are, you
have, but even so ...) go to extracartridges.com and see what they have
that will fit your printer.  My 1160 is still going (tho its prints aren't
big enough for your size negs, they are for mine)... and my 3rd party ink
cartridges cost something like $3.95 for black, $4.95 for color, plus
postage. I get maybe 6 of each at a time, for cost of one set of
originals.

I tested them against originals for fading, speed, color, + whatever else
I could think of -- they seem fine. They have cartridges for many other
makes & models -- as do other "3rd party" sites I forget the name of now.

J.