From: Ryuji Suzuki [mailto:rs@silvergrain.org]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 10:39 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Polytoner trouble: black specks

Check out an article on poly-toner on my website. It has a
formula translated to standard format from a Kodak
publication. In my experience, using KRST as the source of
selenium in this type of combination toner has been
problematic. I make mine from liver of sulfur and selenium
powder, not too dissimilar from the formula in that page.

Black precipitate can be silver compound or can be selenium
compound. Stain from selenium can be very hard to remove from
the emulsion, even if you wipe it with sponge. You should
filter them out and cut back on selenium from next batch. But
selenium gets consumed from the bath so you should replenish
selenium more frequently than sulfur, if you use the bath
continually.