U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | VDB metal bleed in water bath

VDB metal bleed in water bath

hello

Processing some VanDykes today, a number of them started 'bleeding'  from the masked borders. This bleeding  developed into stains. I tried both leaving the print image size down in the initial water bath (with very little agitation) and ,at the same time, not adding citric acid to the water bath. This did work, for the most part . I'm thinking that it was probably the inversion of the print which helped;  but,  could the citric acid play a part in this problem?  If the initial water bath was too acidic  could it cause bleediing?
I should also say that I was printing on Stonehenge and the paper was double coated.
I have found very little information about this staining problem and was hoping that someone might have some answers or at least a better remedy. I also really like the look of stonehenge with palladium toned VDB and am hesitant to switching papers.

thanks
david

david drake photography
www.daviddrakephotography.com