U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: VDB metal bleed in water bath

RE: VDB metal bleed in water bath

"Stonehenge" has been at least 3 (maybe more?) different papers since it used to be a cheap all-purpose paper maybe 20 (?) years ago, and its properties have changed accordingly -- tho maybe I should put that in the pluperfect, since I haven't used it recently. I'm just wondering (in a long-winded manner) if the paper could have changed again.

I add, however, that I've found doublecoating problematic in both cyano & VDB, rarely giving a deeper print without introducing problems. I also found that in ***no*** case on any of the dozen or so papers I tested did a size improve the print, usually the contrary ... tho admittedly those tests were long ago & papers have changed. (In some papers the 2nd coat only wiped off the first coat & made the print lighter -- but I repeat myself.)

Still...surely there are good papers that don't require a size and/or double coating, which do introduce extra variables however you slice it.

Judy