U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: an infant got x-rayed

Re: an infant got x-rayed

Jack, just to check... did you carry on films, rather than put
them in checked luggage?

Sensitivity of emulsion to x-ray and that to visible light are
determined by rather different mechanisms, and generally
speaking, old technology high speed color films are more
sensitive to x-ray than modern b&w films. But then x-ray
varies a lot. The REM scale commonly used take the difference
into account in terms of the "equivalent" biological effects,
not equivalent effects to silver halide crystals. So, the real
story is more complicated (but no surprise here).

I've also posted in the past the same thing as what Jordan
said. If you take a roundtrip transatlantic flight, you get
about the same dose of radiation as a single chest x-ray. But
again this is compared in REM scale... (BTW x-ray imaging of
bones use a lot more x-ray. CT-scans use even more.)

I used to request hand inspection, but when I learned that not
many countries give this right to travelers explicitly (and I
too had unplesant experience at Gatwick airpot), I started
using lead bag and tell the inspector that my luggage contains
specialty photographic equipment and films in thick lead bag,
and ask them if they would rather hand inspect. Most of the
time they are happy to look at the faint shadow of films for a
brief moment and I never had any adverse effect, including
T-MAX P3200. At one time the TSA employee told me that the bag
cuts the x-ray but he can still count how many rolls I have in
the bag.

Ryuji