U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: clearing dichromate stain

Re: clearing dichromate stain

Katharine,
I seem to have misplaced the original email you sent, but thought these points would clarify:

1. I answered Henry with a list from 1898 to present day of all the clearing methods. In no way was this list an endorsement of alum. It was to show the substances in use throughout gum's history. In fact, if you read the list carefully there were contradicting statements on there from the various sources.

2. I don't clear. Once Sil Horowitz said it wasn't necessary, I believed him.

3. When I used to clear, I used potassium metabisulfite. It is speedy--you can see it by dipping half a print in it and see the immediate change. I also did Livick's method of spray bottle pot metabi and it was fun to watch. It also rinses out of the paper easily and well, being more soluble than others. But we hashed that topic out on this list a year or so ago I think and I don't feel it needs to be rehashed again. If you search under Alberto Novo he had some great input on the topic. If I remember correctly, you didn't agree with him or me at that time.

4. Alum has certainly been replaced as clear of choice in present times.

Chris