U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dichromate stain and chemistry question

Re: dichromate stain and chemistry question

On Jan 8, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Katharine Thayer wrote:

On Jan 7, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

To the chemists of the list, does this chemical explanation sound plausible--it's Greek to me:

"Light acts the same as heat, and in the presence of organic matter sets free the ammonia from the double salt, which then becomes acid by the formation of chromic acid, which is reduced by the organic matter to chromate or chromic oxide. If the washing is continued this chromate is reduced to chromium oxyhydrate which is a pale greenish color."

This doesn't look like Greek to me, but it's incomprehensible just the same. There's no reference given, but from the sound of it I would guess it dates back to the early days long before chemistry advanced to the understanding of the photochemical process that we know today to explain the process. Just the beginning statement, "Light acts the same as heat" is incomprehensible in the light of this knowledge. So I'm not sure how useful this information could be to us, but since no chemists here have responded, I've forwarded it to my physical chemist colleague for comment, and will report back his comments when he replies, whatever they are.

His answer:

It was only in the 1880s that van't Hoff, Arrhenius and Ostwald showed that osmotic pressures and electrical conductivities of strong acids and salts were to be understood as arising from their full dissociation into ions in aqueous solutions. Given that to be the state of science in that period, it would not be appropriate to read the statement you cited presuming a modern understanding of chemistry or presuming current terminology. It would take some careful historical research to determine what the author of the statement knew and what he meant by his terminology. Almost nothing was known about mechanism at that time. Again, one can't use the statement to support current understandings of photochemical processes.
Katharine